Friday, October 23, 2015

Who are you going to trust?!

Oh man, are things muddied up this week by Subway's announcement that they will start using meat from animals that have never been giving antibiotics. Not only that, but they are DELETING comments from people who are making reasonable statements questioning their decision.

I'm pretty sure that even the untrained eye can see what this really is - a public relations maneuver.

July 2015, huge fall out from Jared Fogel scandal. October 2015, this bandwagon decision following a few other restaurant chains. Connect the dots, and you have a case-study for entry-level marketing students.

Here's what it comes down to: who are you going to trust?

So we turn to our good friend, Google.

Including me.

I am a farm gal, but most of my experience and understanding is in dairy and crops. This topic is more about poultry and beef.

So I took to googling information just like anyone else.

Five things I found:

  1. It would take days, weeks, months, years to even come close to the collective level of understanding that the agriculture and medical community have. I am NOT in any position to understand all the ins and outs of the antibiotic use and whether there's any connection to resistance.

    Here's a comparison this is not meant to be offensive at all, but is something I think a lot of us can relate to. It's like childless people who claim wisdom in parenting decisions and methods. I'm a cattle-less, bird-less person who is humble enough to admit that I don't know how they should raise their animals.

    If you are interested in getting a basic introduction to this topic, there are a lot of blog posts available about the topic. Also, many farmers and ranchers and veterinarians would welcome the opportunity to share and answer questions. People love to talk about their passion and share it with others. You just have to take the time to ask openly and kindly.
     
  2. These sorts of announcements paint it as an "us" versus "them" topic, but that isn't the case. It's a round table, not a rectangle one. We are all in this together - all wanting healthy food that is readily available at affordable prices to nourish our bodies and souls.
     
  3. Nothing in this world is perfect. However, I will put my odds on the agriculture community - including ALL sizes and styles. It's a community that has salt-of-the-earth people throughout. Not perfect (nothing is), but the highest integrity steering them.
     
  4. Marketing is a powerful tool. As the receivers of marketing, it's up to us to filter the marketing tactics with a strong mind. I was just talking to someone recently about how one of the highest-used marketing methods is fear-based. I know I've been victim to fear-based marketing messages at times. Be on guard.
     
  5. I trust God with all of it. With my own personal health and food decisions, that He is steering our food producers and that everyone around the table will be patient and understanding of one another. Matthew 6:25-34

No comments:

Post a Comment